Saturday 9 February 2013

Handmade Bag - Retro Green Tote

I have recently been pouring over crafting/sewing website looking for new ideas and inspirations. For 2013 I want to expand and have a nice flow of handmade bags to join the dolls and softies. This tote bag was the first bag I made.

[caption id="attachment_159" align="aligncenter" width="576"]DSCF9087 The beginnings. Look how the grey/silver taffeta compliments the grey of the fabric on the right.[/caption]

The fabric I used for this was a medium/heavy upholstery weight fabric with a taffeta lining. The buttons on the side were lovely vintage buttons from my late mother-in-law's tin.

[caption id="attachment_160" align="aligncenter" width="583"]The search for the right lining was a long task. I have mixed feelings about taffeta but this just lends itself so well to the design. The search for the right lining was a long task. I have mixed feelings about taffeta but this just lends itself so well to the design.[/caption]

The original design for this bag is by Alicia Thommas and Liz Johnson (s4h) and was designed to be carried by straps held on by buttons/button holes. Since the sewing machine I used for this was a four stitch machine (so no button hole ability), I stitched the straps on.

[caption id="attachment_162" align="aligncenter" width="608"]Vintage buttons really sells this retro tote bag Vintage buttons really sells this retro tote bag[/caption]

Upon finishing this bag I have to admit, I was impressed. This bag has to go into the Binky Roo collection. This design is retro and stylish with a double pocket inside and out - the inner pocket stitched to hold a mobile phone and a small notebook/diary.

This is the first of two bags of this design I will be uploading on here. Keep an eye peeled for a detailed post for a designer tote - Nevermore - Michael Miller Fabrics. It's goth, it's lush, it's unique...

[caption id="attachment_163" align="aligncenter" width="583"]The final bag showing the fussy cut detail of the external pocket with handmade frill The final bag showing the fussy cut detail of the external pocket with handmade frill[/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment